Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Like I Said...


I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: AMERICANS ARE DUMB. About four years ago, I was having dinner with some co-workers at a nice restaurant in Mexico City. The Americans at a nearby table thought it was the absolute height of hilarity to talk like Cheech Marin every time the waiter showed up. In pathetic, broken Spanish, I attempted to apologize to the waiter for my countrymen's embarrassing behavior. In excellent English, the waiter told me there was no need to apologize - he could tell I was embarrassed and that was apology enough.
There is something terribly, terribly wrong with a society in which willfully ignorant dunderheads rise to the top while thoughtful, compassionate citizens struggle to make ends meet. But as Bertrand Russel observed, "the trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

1 comment:

Pissedoffcabbie said...

Don't you see, BD? We're the ENTERTAINMENT for the rest of the world. Our stupidity keeps them in stitches. Where would they be without us on their screens and in their headphones?

It's a cold and bleak world out there, and laughter is the best medicine. From Bush to Britney, we deliver the goods. And, should anyone feel too rube-like, they have only to look to us to see that they are far from the bottom of the barrel.